How to make crayons
Making crayons is the perfect creative activity for a rainy or cold day– and it only requires a few simple ingredients! From melting down broken pieces of old wax to crafting unique shapes and colors, this craft project allows children and adults alike to express their creativity in ways they may never have thought possible. So, grab your favorite food molds and some basic supplies as we show you how to make homemade crayons with step-by-step instructions!
Know the Basic Term Before Making Crayons
- Pigments are substances that appear a certain color because they selectively absorb wavelengths of light. They are used to color paint, ink, plastic, fabric, cosmetics, and food.
- Paraffin wax is a petroleum-based product that can be used to make many different products. Oil pastels are made from this type of wax, and the basic process is to melt it and add pigment powders that give them specific colors.
- Additives are materials added to crayons during manufacturing to improve their performance, appearance, and safety.
- Molds are containers used to shape the melted wax mixture into a desired form. Molds can be made of various materials, including silicone, metal, or plastic, and can come in different shapes and sizes.
Where Do Crayons Mostly Use?
Children mostly use crayons for coloring and drawing, but adults also use them for various purposes, such as art projects, sketching, and marking documents. Additionally, teachers and students use Oil pastels in educational settings for activities such as coloring maps, diagrams, and other learning materials. Some professionals, such as designers and architects, also use Oil pastels as a medium for sketches and illustrations.
Ingredients That You Need to Make Crayons
Here are the ingredients needed to make crayons:
- Wax (such as paraffin or beeswax)
- Non-toxic powdered pigments or crayon shavings
- Cooking oil (such as vegetable or coconut oil)
- Optional: glitter or essential oils for scent
- Molds (such as muffin tins or silicone molds)
- Double boiler or metal can and saucepan
- Spoon or stirring utensil
- Oven or microwave (optional)
How To Make Crayons at Home
Making crayons at home is a fun and easy project you can do with your children or as a creative activity. Here’s how to make Oil pastels at home:
1. Gather Your Materials
To make crayons at home, you will need wax (such as paraffin or beeswax), non-toxic powdered pigments or crayon shavings, cooking oil (such as vegetable or coconut oil), molds (such as muffin tins or silicone molds), a double boiler or metal can and saucepan, a spoon or stirring utensil, and an optional oven or microwave.
2. Melt the Wax
Begin by melting the wax in a double boiler or a metal can set in a saucepan of boiling water. If you don’t have a double boiler, you can use a metal can that can withstand heat. Place the can in a pot of boiling water and stir the wax until it is completely melted.
3. Add Color & Oil
Once the wax has melted, add the non-toxic powdered pigments or crayon shavings to the wax, and stir until the color is evenly distributed. If you want to add a scent or sparkle to your crayons, you can add a few drops of essential oil or glitter at this stage. Next, add a small amount of cooking oil to the mixture to make the Oil pastels more pliable and easier to work with.
4. Pour the mixture into Molds
Once thoroughly mixed with wax, color, and oil, pour the mixture into your molds. You can use muffin tins or silicone molds to make your crayons in various shapes and sizes.
5. Allow To Cool
Let the crayons cool for several hours until they harden. If you want to speed up the cooling process, you can place the molds in the refrigerator or freezer.
6. Remove The Crayons from The Molds
Once the Oil pastels have cooled and hardened, remove them from the molds. If you have trouble removing them, you can try popping them out by pressing on the bottom of the molds or running them under warm water for a few seconds.
7. Enjoy your homemade crayons
Your homemade crayons are now ready to use! Store them in a cool, dry place, and enjoy your colorful creations.
Making crayons at home is a great way to customize your own colors and shapes. And to have fun with a hands-on, creative project. You can make unique and colorful Oil pastels with just a few simple ingredients and steps.